Thursday, August 18, 2005

Learning from Song of Songs #1

I am starting my meditation on Song of Solomon to ascertain some misperceptions I had on love and relationship. The Song was written like dialogs in a musical, and this is how it started out…

Girl:

2 Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth - For your love is more delightful than wine. 3 Pleasing is the fragrance of your perfumes; Your name is like perfume poured out. No wonder the maidens love you! 4 Take me away with you - let us hurry! Let the king bring me into his chambers.

Maidens:

We rejoice and delight in you; We will praise your love more than wine.

Girl:

How right they are to adore you! [Song of Solomon 1:2-4, NIV]

Who would have thought you found reference to French kiss right in the middle of the Bible here. The girl started out with a song of yearning. Her lover wasn’t there; that’s why she referred to "him" at first. But then her mind starts daydream, and the "him" become "you". In her imagination, he was right there with her.

Women have deep longing. They are more emotionally wired; and they are delighted to be love. But love must be concreted. It was a specific action that she long for: affections shown by showering of kisses. The physical aspect of her lover matters too, his smell and his physique. His character is solid and held in high repute ("Your name…"). And she is proud of the fact that he was loved by her girlfriends, the maidens. The end of this opening climatic at the point where the girl daydreams about being whisked away – run and not walk – into his bedroom for passionate love-making.

Sizzle! Wow, this is hot.

Application: Often I think too much and don’t love as much. There are quite a few Puritanical misconceptions that I have about love and relationship. Women have their desires. They may not be anti-sexual like many people made them out to be. It’s also a fallacy to believe that women don’t care about how men look and just focus on their characters. They both matter. It is also a fallacy to believe that women don’t want sex. They do.

Dear God – Perhaps I am sexually repressive. Please help me to correct my wrong perceptions and align my belief toward the reality You have constructed.

PS: One more thing I learn: it is important to make her proud about you when she's in conversations with her friends too.

1 Comments:

Blogger mar13 said...

He he he,

Just want to work on my marriage a bit more.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home