Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Foreknowledge of Rejection

I ask, then, has God rejected his people? By no means! I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member of the tribe of Benjamin. God has not rejected his people whom he foreknew. Do you not know what the scripture says of Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel? for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Just as you were once disobedient to God but have now received mercy because of their disobedience, so they have now been disobedient in order that, by the mercy shown to you, they too may now receive mercy. For God has imprisoned all in disobedience so that he may be merciful to all.
[Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32]

"For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable" even though the Israelites in Paul's time were rejecting Jesus. They were called to obedience so that God's glory might be revealed; but they rejected their calling. However, God's calling on them were irrevocable, and He accomplished His purpose even through their disobedience. And amazingly, God has not rejected them. The mystery is that He foreknew this in advance, that the text even implicate Him for "imprisoning all in disobedience so that He may be merciful to all." If so, then God had already foreknew not just the disobedience, but the response to His mercy from the people in advance! That response to mercy would be the determining factor of who is "His people".

Like all, I am also imprisoned in disobedience. But also to all, God shows His mercy to people including me. Am I His people? Am I the one God didn't reject? It's all boiled down in my rejection to His mercy.

Lord God, thank you for Your mercy shown to me; even in today, the day of my disobedience. I will receive your mercy. I will walk in accordance to your calling and gifts. Make me your people and fulfill Your purpose through my obedience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home