Monday, June 13, 2005

Who said following God is beneficial?

The reading of this week's text...
It is for your sake that I have borne reproach, that shame has covered my face. I have become a stranger to my kindred, an alien to my mother's children. It is zeal for your house that has consumed me; the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me. When I humbled my soul with fasting, they insulted me for doing so. When I made sackcloth my clothing, I became a byword to them. I am the subject of gossip for those who sit in the gate, and the drunkards make songs about me. But as for me, my prayer is to you, O LORD. At an acceptable time, O God, in the abundance of your steadfast love, answer me. With your faithful help rescue me from sinking in the mire; let me be delivered from my enemies and from the deep waters. Do not let the flood sweep over me, or the deep swallow me up, or the Pit close its mouth over me. Answer me, O LORD, for your steadfast love is good; according to your abundant mercy, turn to me. Do not hide your face from your servant, for I am in distress--make haste to answer me. Draw near to me, redeem me, set me free because of my enemies. (Psalm 69:7-16)

Who said that following God will be beneficial to you?

It might not be that beneficial in a common sense of how everyone think as benefits. Often, when we think of benefits, we think of something added to your life. Many people easily think that Christ is a benefit added to our life. We've already have this, and this, and this; so believe in Jesus Christ so we will have more: blessings, peace, joy, happy marriage, sucessful life, etc. And eternal salvation too!

But that's the biggest misconception.

Following God is not an added benefit. It's a trade off according to the Bible. In Matthew 14, a man sold all of his lands to purchase the field with the great treasure hidden in it. In letter to the Phillipians, Paul stacked all of his human accomplishment on one side and said that he considered everything in his life as trash in compare to the possession of Christ Jesus.

There are many people today following God as an added benefit. The problem is that when God begins to take away these benefits, when their life ended up in a shamble pit, God will not be as attractive as they thought He would be. And by then, I don't think they can sing this Psalm like what the Psalmist did.

O God, open my eyes so I can see you, more than just the benefits that you bring!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home