Saturday, March 19, 2005

Introduction to "Wimpy Theology"

My friend Rick lamented that "theology is boring" because it's all knowledge and lacks heart and soul. I would agree, but I think the problem was the terminology we used. So I replied...
"Theology is boring!" Saying that and you will receive plenty of "Amen." But what if you replace the word "Theology" with "Knowing God". Would knowing God be boring? I doubt it. The problem here is the semantic. We are conditioned to yawn when we hear the word theology. Therefore I am extremely cautious to use the word around anyone. I prefer the second term instead: Knowing God. (But not the kind of Knowing God as described in the book with the same title from J.I.Packer - I could not bring myself to complete the book). And so I think about God, and want to know about God; through Bible study and devotion and baring the souls to the brethen, and start exploring the limitation of what I know about God. Eventually each one of us start to have our own personal "theology", which is the ground for our action. I called that, "wimpy theology". And that is not boring at all...

1 Comments:

Blogger New Life said...

Thanks for the comments! I agree with you. Keep in mind, I was mainly refering to theology purely as one's mental ascent and not looking for God in their midst.

Good stuff!

Peace,
Rick

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home