Thursday, February 10, 2005

What do you see?

Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah." While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, "This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!" When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, "Get up and do not be afraid." And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone. [Mat.17:1-8]
Here's my allegorical take on this passage central around the question of "What do you see?" First the disciples saw that they were by themselves with Jesus ascending the mountain. They could see themselves as beyond the pack of other disciples. When I compare myself with others, I could see myself as far ahead of them. Then the disciples saw Jesus transfigured; and I saw Jesus differently, no longer the same familiar figure I was raised to know. Third the disciples see Moses and Elijah, the living figures from the Law and Prophets; and I was mesmerized by the Word of God came a life to me. But then God came down in a cloud and affirming Jesus, the disciples were struck with fear. At this point in my life I have yet experience a powerful fear-struck encounter with God yet. But I know what would be next; Jesus will come and sustain me. "And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone."
Oh Lord God, give me a pure heart so I can see God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home