Monday, October 24, 2005

Church sizes and preaching pastoring leaders

Over in the UK Finland, Lorna was discussing about church sizes. And this is what I chimed in:
I don't like big church setting - but I also need to be careful that my desire for a more intimate setting wouldn't just shut people out from knowing God through our community. There is always the tension between preaching and pastoring. In preaching, proclaiming to a great crowd is more desirable. But in pastoring, shepherding to a smaller group is more desireable. Many churches compensate this by calling their pastors "small group leaders". What do you think?
My bilical conviction is that church pastors will always need to both. In Acts 6 you found Peter empowered the deacons so that the Apostles can be more focus on the ministry of "Prayer and the Word". Many have used that as the precedent for preaching-only. But a few chapters later, we also Peter came and visited Docas, so he did some pastoral care too.

But what should be the ratio? If I must shepherd a church all by myself, then 50/50 ratio is a statistically baseline. As we build up more leaders, the pastoral functions could be shifted to other leaders, but ultimately the pastor should not end up in preaching-only position. He would need to commit to personal pastoral care time so that he would be close to the flock, know them well and can address their needs. It also challenges him to live out his faith daily as well.

O, how I am so afraid of the work in pastoral care. It's hard and painful. But I know that Christ wouldn't have it differently for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger tonymyles said...

It's like the parable of the lost sheep... we need to look for one more sheep that got lost (even if it means leaving the big mass to do so) but we also need to be sure that every sheep is cared for and accounted for. Such a tough balance.

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

quick correction I'm not in the UK but in Finland. What I wrote still applies - I'm not sure BIG is good

I think there's a place for church leaders and church planting, for pastors and small group leaders/pastors - the point is that we need to become a community, the body of Christ - working with Jesus as the HEAD

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home