Saturday, October 29, 2005

I wish I could improve my delivery

I was just finished watching my taped-message last month. I was afraid to watch it right afterward. So far, it was good enough for my audience and for my formerly-ESL self. But there are much more rooms for improvement on the delivery:
  • My diction needs improvement - sometimes I couldn't even understand what I was saying. May be going slower to start. Good pronounciation would help.
  • Watch the movement - I found an advice on public-speaking today that “whatever you do, do it on purpose.” A step here and a step there on stage defeated that maxim. Another article suggested that if the speaker need to move, move at least 3 steps in the same direction for a certain purpose.
  • My expressive hand-gestures was a bit much. Less would be more in this case.
  • I am so grateful that I preach with PowerPoint - most of the time, the hearers' focus would be about the text on the slides, and not so much on me. I would be distracted even watching myself.
  • My pitch needs to be lower.

Alright, I will be preaching again next week - time to focus on these minor improvements... I am glad that I am not a secular public speaker. There is so much power in the Word of God which changes lives to rely on (rather than some limited human invention for pursuasive speech). All I need to do is to make sure that less of me (the messenger) interfering with God's message for his people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home